Wednesday, September 3, 2008

London

Hello!

I was feeling too humbly-grumbly to write a little while ago, because I got up early hoping to call British Airways about my luggage and go back to sleep, but half an hour on hold foiled my plans. The happy ending is that being up early gave me the chance to serve our lovely host Paul a warm breakfast on his way out the door. Which set me smiling again. And then, listening to The Lion King (circle of life) while stretching and looking out over London from our 17th story picture window made my body smile bigger.

So, we made it to London. The flights were smooth and easy, a lot of sleeping. Alex and I accidentally exited through customs in Brussels instead of staying in the terminal so we had a little adventure making it back in for our connection. But we made it. Our bags were lost (so lost) but I was kind of expecting that and everything important is still with me. I actually feel quite clean, considering the fact that I have been wearing these clothes since Friday morning. It's like the miracle of Channukah! (don't worry though, they found our bags in Zimbabwe somewhere yesterday. Alex's is already here, short only a wheel, and mine should come soon.

One of the most amazing things about England are the names. Leaving Heathrow, we took the Piccadilly line, service to Cockfosters, and transferred to the Jubilee line to Swiss Cottage. The neighborhood next to us is Chalk Farm, and there's a building across the street called Godolphin House. Anyway.

After lunch at THE Swiss Cottage on Saturday, Alex and I discovered a magical fountain/fun machine/wet water experience in a park and splashed around next to some toddlers for a minute. Claire's advice for travelling was, if an opportunity presents itself, do it—solid advice, which has probably nudged me in the right direction more than once in the last week.

Before we could walk a block from the magic fountain of Spraychildton, we got grabbed for our first football game of the semester... they were two players short. It was a small field (way more fun), caged in, small goals. Good stuff. So we had a blast playing football with some dudes for an hour or two, before continuing on to the Thundera flat.

When we got to Dorney (the apartment building, or "pillar" where we've been staying) we met the kind individuals who are putting us up for four days. Paul is really fun, and one of the most genuine people ever. He somehow manages to be absolutely mild-mannered and EXTREME at the same time. I don't mean like James Bond or a pro BMXer, I mean like, you know that sort of funny where something not too crazy will happen, and someone (like maybe me) will make a really extreme face and throw their arms in the air and fall over? Well Paul has something of that playfulness but then plus British, so he doesn't need to fall over, he'll just raise his eyebrows and proclaim "It is on...!" .... I can see how the English might have good theater. re.

That wasn't a theoretical example, by the way, it's actually what Paul says. Every other sentence. Sometimes mixed up with "Is it on?" or "Not on!" as the need arises. A good, good man. He also works with young people and is a reluctant preacher. Well mainly I like the sound of reluctant preacher.

Leslie, his wife (who is four months pregnant) is incredibly sweet, and always makes me feel like she's interested and wants to be friends. Fred and 'G' were the two others I think who actually pay rent... they're nice and friendly and cool too.

So we were welcomed in the laid back way that comes from having people come through all the time... talked about U.S. politics, watched ridiculous YouTube videos about U.S. politics, had a lovely dinner prepared by Fred, and proceeded to play a four-hour, six team game of Risk. Ridonkulous.

About seven or eight couchsurfers slept over that night. No, it's not a big apartment. Yes, it's love. But really, that little world tucked into the 17th floor of Dorney makes me smile for humanity. It wasn't epic, just really nice, and chill. There were a lot of different languages being spoken, which was fun, and definitely some interesting characters. William, from Paris, who is some sort of accounting auditor who meets with CEOs and wears a suit by day... who has been couchsurfing for the last two months with only four nights in a hotel. He's saving up for freedom, to be able to travel and roam for the rest of his life. Mattias from Austria wanted to be WOOFing in New Zealand but due to a work permit glitch had to sleep in the New Zealand airport for 3 days before being deported... so now he's in the UK, which was his second choice. Mattias says we break every American stereotype, and he really likes Jon's ignorant southerner impression. Cough.

Lunch in the semi-open market in Camden Town, which is really awesome. Philosophy, Buddhism, humanity, capitalism, and life discussions at not-too-loud-pubs and one extremely loud nightclub with new friends, Jon and Neha (and Olivia's with us at this point too, as of Sunday). MarioKart with Paul, Fred & William at home. Lentils and Rice. Lots of walking around. The Tate. The British Museum. Highlight: They have a Maori statue there, one of the ones from Easter Island. Or it has them. Alex said it was wierd to see in a museum. The British Museum seemed to me like an ironic twinkle of a moment in the lifespan of this one. I spent about half an hour with it.

Soon, I'll meet the rest of the folks on our program! Maybe like many layers of fresh and fun new chemistry, and when they peel away in the heat and cold, some solid and juicy old-friend fruit on the inside. We'll see, when life does the peeling. Imma lovin' the outsides so far and don't need no hurry.

I really like London, I'm glad I'm here. I'm excited for what's coming.

Much love and play!
noa

1 comment:

Rachel said...

What adventures, Noa! I'm glad you're couch surfing and playing in water. Tonight it rained like a tropical storm in Middletown, and I went out and danced in the rain and got all wet and playful. It was like the boundary between me and the world melted a little (particularly when my room started leaking in 3 places and nature was becoming part of my bed and other personal effects).

Vis-a-vis your previous post, I am taking a physics class on light! I'm finally brave enough to try physics! And I'm reading a beautiful book about light. Amazing. I like to think about the sun as always rising somewhere.

Good morning, my love.