Sunday, October 26, 2008

I got this letter

Dear kid,

Was it so long ago that we used to play? You prancing in my meadows and battling my ogres, and I a glass bauble-world that would shake to stir the winds of change if ever you grew bored--

Through carelessness or trust I let you see me to my edge.

Let you glimpse your reflection on those deepest walls
the concave secrets of my root

____sky____and perimeter.

But it did not deepen our intimacy
Instead of understanding the depth of my caress,

The first thing you saw was your own mask, magnified in the curve of my accidental looking glass.

Entranced, you stood fixed
Gaping at my womb, and yet seeing only your shadow outstretched

First you worshipped that great shining man-image, offering to him whichever of your brothers and sisters were close at hand until

One day you saw that man to be yourself; and you rejoiced in your hugeness.

Still you stand, still you stare, dreaming that you are him on the other side of the looking glass; that you have outgrown me; that I sit as a globe on your mantel.

Quit this silly thinking, child!
You will never fall back through my sex.

Your actual body is wasting away by the pond!

Come play.

We also can make love in the meadows, and fighting ogres.

Love,
Your original true face

No comments: