Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Snapshots of a New Obsession, Bodh Gaya: 3 Lists

I have a new obsession: list-making. It is enabled by the perfect travel-sized notebook Ellen Bodin gave me as a parting gift, which has become my "Book of Lists," vol. 1. For all of you who lose your "to dos" on little scraps of paper, I'm telling you, this will change your life. Anyway, on my lists everyday is this repeated item, "blog." I'm constantly convinced that somehow tomorrow or this coming weekend will give me a few hours where I can finally sit down at this blog to write a comprehensive reflection of what I've been up to for the past two months. Well, I'm working on it, but as I don't have a few hours (maybe during Independent Study), I wanted to share a few of my lists.

Top Indian Phrases Used Popularly with Us
(Note: in this context, the object the speaker thinks you want, (i.e. rickshaw) or something they want (biscuit) is used like your name in a direct address with no comma

Hello rickshaw

Yes please

Please come

No problem

Why not

Hello Madam

Which country?

Hello biscuit?

Hello Obama!

Favorite Restaurants in Town
(and why they make the list)

1) Om Cafe-the chocolate balls! Tibetan crafts
2) Mohammed's-the salads are safe to eat!
3) Thai-coconut lemongrass soup, spring rolls
4) Gautam's-nicest tent restaurant right across the street from the Vihar; let us set up a TV during the election; all the staff has become our friends, and the little boy that works in the kitchen is an amazing pancake chef

Foods I've Dreamed About/Daydreamed About the Most from Home

-All pizza, good and bad
-Chocolate ice cream, and Ben and Jerry's
-Salads, fresh, with dark greens, blue cheese, nuts; homemade dressing
-Summer fruits, freshly picked berries
-Apple crisp, the smell of it and the taste and crumbly texture
-Halloween candy-all kinds-someone's Mom mailed M&Ms and Skittles that showed up at our Halloween party and you can't imagine these treats to be such delicacies as they here seem
-Fresh apple cider, hot and cold
-Those cinnamony donuts they make at Clyde's cider mill, as enjoyed last fall with Britt and Kate
-Earth House veggie concoctions!
-Paolo's pancakes
-Pasta and lasagna made by Mom and Grandma
-Homemade bread
-Eggplant parm made by Grandma or Ellen
-Cold milk, safe to drink
-BROWN RICE

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

hey aine,

it is so good to hear from you. i have a letter sitting on my desk i still have to send you. im sorry. ive been so bad with mailing stuff and contacting home. but in terms of after the semester ends i will be in paris from dec 28th til jan 3rd and then i will be in london with my cousin jilli from the 3rd to the 8th. because i knew you would be there and i want to see you in london so bad. since we were there together 4 and a half years ago. so we will have to meet up then. we'll figure it out. i love you and it was so great to hear from you. i cant wait to talk.

love, lizzy